Saturday 16 November 2019

Context of Practise 2: Environment Analysis and Design

Context of Practise 2
Environment Analysis and Design

  • When approaching my research into the environment design of my case studies and how this aesthetic affects the atmosphere of a game, my main source of research was from playing the games and analysing them. However, I looked a lot into the concept art of the games and how the environment design was impacted by this. The concept artist, Simon Kopp, who worked on Ori and the Blind Forest, created a series of environment assets which could be duplicated in game. I decided to use this idea myself, looking at plants and possible assets amongst the environment.
Ginso Tree asset board. All assets on this board were exclusively painted by me.

My Concepts:

  • After watching "The Animation Process of Ori and the Blind Forest" on YouTube, I found that a lot of their environments were inspired by Studio Ghibli. I researched the style, looking at the art book, "The Art of Miyazaki's Spirited Away (Studio Ghibli Library)." I tried to recreate the painting-like style and found that I did prefer the lined style of backgrounds, which are used in Hollow Knight. I did, however, use the light and particle effects I had learnt watching INSIDE and the colour choices I had investigated, when I researched semiotics.
The first initial painting test:



I, then, produced a series of colour variation tests, looking at mood and atmosphere, in relation to the time of day and colour palette chosen.




No comments:

Post a Comment