Tuesday 5 November 2019

Context of Practise 2: Character Analysis and Development

Context of Practise 2
Character Analysis and Development

  • In order to analyse the aesthetic of characters in my three chosen case studies, Hollow Knight, Ori and the Blind Forest and INSIDE, I decided to try drawing their protagonists and attempt to analyse their visual style, triangulating this with research I had already done.


  • With this further visual analysis, I could then develop the characters for my mock-up world, in a similar aesthetic and develop a finalised protagonist design! I decided to take the thick line-work style, use large heads, large eyes, make the character small, with a bright colour separating the top half and lower half of their body, like the Boy protagonist from INSIDE.


  • The main visual aesthetic of Ozwald, was to incorporate narrative into his character design. I did this by making his silhouette shape and his colours resemble the lantern he carries with him on his adventure. I chose to use bright, complementary colours, which will also visually contrast the backgrounds, which will consist of greens, purples and reds.
  • Here are the first digital mock-ups for this:


  • I didn't feel this reflected my research well, as the line-style is not thicker, the characters body is too long and I felt it strayed away from my initial designs. Therefore, I simplified his design further and was happy with the turnaround and model sheet I then produced for him.
  • I will be writing about this process in my essay, in the section talking about the analysis of characters in my case studies.



No comments:

Post a Comment