Sunday 1 March 2020

Professional Practise 2: Pet Portrait Commissions

Professional Practise 2
Studio Brief 2 - Pet Portrait Commissions

  • I was recently approached by two clients to create a digital painting of a Staffordshire Bull Terrier and a Ragdoll Brown-Point Cat, both being gifts for friends and family members. I have been doing pet commissions on and off for quite a while, as they provide practise in painting and drawing animals and also help me to develop my concept work, in terms of drawing from photographs and references.
  • The first client wanted a full-body rough painting of a family members' dog. They sent me references and a broad idea of what they wanted and from there, I was able to decide a rate. Usually I charge £25 for head portraits and £45 for full body portraits, as they are usually quite rough, not fully rendered and it only takes me around two-three hours depending on the complexity. I do raise the prices, if the fur pattern is more complex. As the Staffies' fur was just plain with a small white spot on the neck, it was simpler and the client wanted a full body portrait.
  • I have provided screenshots of some of the process and conversation, with the invoice (Addresses have been removed for privacy reasons) and the final portrait:


Invoice:



Final Portrait:
  • The second client wanted a head portrait of their friends Ragdoll cat, with added "majestic details." Unfortunately, I don't have screenshot evidence of their asked for commission, as this was done through call, however, I do have reference photos and an invoice (Addresses have been removed for privacy reasons) with payment details.
Some provided Reference Photos:



Invoice:



Final Portrait:


No comments:

Post a Comment