Friday 20 March 2020

Applied Animation: Documentary - Developing Script and Concepts

Applied Animation
Documentary Development

  • This week:
    • I developed the pre-production phase of the documentary, by exploring further research, editing the script, producing a rough storyboard and working on feedback from my initial concepts.
  • What went well:
    • As I was struggling to cut down the word-count of the script, I contacted Mat to help out with what was needed and what could be cut out. He assisted me in developing the script, to make it more understandable to those who don't have a full understanding of the story. 
    • Here is the second draft that we came up with:

  • Furthermore, using this script, I was then able to produce the rough storyboard, which Caitlin will then refine digitally. Using post-it notes was the easiest way to do this, as it gave me a lot of room to move things around or add more shots in to tell the story.


  • Finally, I produced some further character concepts, this week, in order to develop the concepts I explored last week. One of the feedbacks we received was that we needed to develop the characters to appeal more to a teenage audience, making them visually darker and less "rounded". This was something I explored with Fenrir, making his fur more angular and then developing the eel idea with the serpent. I think these turned out better.
Last weeks designs:

Improved Designs:


Fenrir Concept:

  • What could be improved:
    • The characters still need development and I still need to design some concepts for Hel. Caitlin will be working on Hels' design and Joseph is working on the backgrounds, however I would like to explore some concepts regarding this, for the characters and backgrounds.
    • The script still needs some development, as it is not fully proof-read yet and I need to look back on previous research to see how this can be improved.
    • The final character sheets need to be produced, which are flat-coloured and explain exactly how the highlights and shading will be done. Using one flat-colour for each of the characters means that we can add shading and highlights more easily when animating.
  • Next week:
    • Ill be finalising pre-production work and planning a work-flow whilst everyone is working from home.





No comments:

Post a Comment