Saturday 14 March 2020

Applied Animation: Documentary - Further Concept Exploration

Applied Animation
Further Concept Exploration

  • This week:
    • Once the script had been completed, I was able to produce more designs and concepts, to explore possible design ideas and aesthetic.
  • What went well:
    • I produced a variety of concepts for Fenrir, Hel and some background ideas. As I had already done a lot of exploration for Jormungandr, I decided to create more for these characters. I started by producing some sketches for Hel and looked at a variety of wolf references to explore Fenrirs' anger.




    • I decided to also look at the silhouette style. This was done digitally, looking at unique ways in-which the characters could be illustrated with a Nordic pattern incorporated throughout.




    • I additionally explored some background concepts, with colour and contrast. We want a gold theme running through each of the characters' stories, so I wanted to look at backgrounds which aid in making the gold stand out. I used purples and white for the snowy landscapes and as a quick test for Hels' domain, used a cool-toned, grainy brush.
Winter Landscapes for Fenrir


 Hel's Domain, quick Composition Test

  • What could be improved:
    • A lot of the concepts for environments I produced are quite bright and look inviting. I need to produce some darker-toned concepts, which explore the prophecy more, that these characters will bring evil and misfortune. The current exploration for these backgrounds doesn't illustrate that.
    • In addition to this, we found that the Norse rune designs were interesting, however we realised the complications with animating these efficiently and how we would be able to incorporate a background. It would be difficult to produce with the limited amount of time we have with this project. 
    • Furthermore, we want to incorporate more old Scandinavian clothing styles to Hel and Odins' designs, so this is something Caitlin would be exploring.
  • Next week:
    • Ill will be working on character sheets and exploring more environment ideas.



No comments:

Post a Comment