Friday 9 April 2021

Extended Practise: Rhy's Project Post-Production 2

 Extended Practise
Rhy's Project Post Production 2


  • This week:
    • I worked on the post-production for Rhy's Project, The Last Riders. 
  • What went well:
    • I was able to get Scenes 7, 12 and 26 composited, along with a start on the Dust cloud VFX for Scenes 1 and 2. 
    • For Scene 7, I only needed to composite and add lighting based upon the HEX Code which was sent to me last week. To keep consistent with the other shots, I added the lighting the same, with a light wrap on the doors opening.
    • Here is Scene 7 Composite:

    • Scene 12, however, was slightly more complicated. I added the light wrap and lighting FX, similarly to previous scenes, and then added a slight glow to the green mist, to make it appear more mystical. 
    • Rhys had sent me a version of the composite he had done, which I needed to try replicate. I noticed the eyes had a glow, so I made use of the Light Rays tool in After Effects to make a glow and so that they almost shine through the mist. 
    • The first version I sent Rhys had a slight ease, but he wanted me to improve it by making it ease more. Here is the old version and the improvement:


    • Scene 26 followed the same lighting process, where I added the Light Wrap, the glow to the mist and using the Light Rays tool for Marow's eyes. These consistent effects work really well and helped tie the scene together more.
    • Some feedback I received from this was to add a shadow to Isla when Marow appears and adjust the lighting. I think this worked a lot better and made more sense, as Marow would be blocking the light from the door.
    • Here is Scene 26 before and the improvements:


    • I additionally worked on a dust/sand cloud effect for Scenes 1 and 2. Initally, Rhys and I had discussed I make a VFX Loop, which can be green-screened onto any scene, however this over-complicated the problem, so I created a VFX Loop, which could be used as a mask instead.
    • I think that I was quite creative in the way I made the dust loop, using Animated Noise and Particle World. I made two versions, one which can go left and one which goes right. This allowed for more flexibility when editing the dust clouds onto the Scenes.


    • This was very easy to apply to Scenes 1 and 2, as I just needed to use a Mask, with a feather and animate the mask. This meant I had full control over the movement and animation.
    • Here are Scenes 1 and 2, with the dust VFX:

  • What could be improved:
    • I would have liked to add more colour variation and effects, such as applying masks to act as shadows, especially how I did with Scene 26. I could further explore how compositing can make adjustments to shadows within a Scene.
    • Whilst I wanted to have more freedom in experimenting with colours, I needed to stay to Rhy's directions. This is something I need to improve on in future projects, by being aware of when I'm becoming too carried away and limiting myself.
    • I think I could further improve my lighting and compositing by exploring the way light interacts with objects more and how lighting is used within industry. I still don't have a lot of knowledge of compositing lights in After Effects, so this is something I would like to look into further, by watching YouTube tutorials and exploring courses on Skillshare and LinkedIn. 
  • Next week:
    • I will be continuing compositing and editing Scenes 13, 25, 4, 27 and 21.

No comments:

Post a Comment