Tuesday 13 April 2021

Extended Practise: Final Film Shading 3

Extended Practise
Final Film Shading 3


  • This week:
    • I worked on further shading for my final film.
  • What went well:
    • Using the same method as previous scenes, I added shading to Shots 8, 12, 16 and 17.
    • As these were shots on the plane, I took into consideration the different sources of lighting when Geoffrey sits down and I needed to also take into account when the scene changes from day to night. I think I did a great job of establishing where the light sources are and keeping consistent with the shadows this way.


    • Shot 16 and 17 are a great example of where I paid attention to the lighting changes within the scene. For example, in Shot 16, I made sure the Hedgehogs were lit from above, as there would be a light above them.
    • For Shot 17, I tried to make the shadow move as he approaches the window, to lift the blind. I think this adds a lot to the believability of the world and makes the characters feel more interactive with the environment. This is an approach I decided to take for further shots going forward.




  • What could be improved:
    • I think in future projects, I could consider varying the shading for different scenes with different lighting. This could potentially take form as different colours used for the shadows, or changing the intensity of the shadows depending on how close a character is to a light. Shot 17 could benefit from this, as he moves closer to the window, the shadows become more intense. This is something I will consider in future projects, now that I understand shading workflows and different methods I can use for shading.
  • Next week:
    • I will be working on the colour for Shot 19 and the shading for Shots 19, 20, 21, 22 and 23.

No comments:

Post a Comment