Saturday 3 April 2021

Extended Practise: Final Film Reflections and Shading 1

 Extended Practise
Final Film Reflections and Shading 1


  • This week:
    • I added reflections and shading to the completed shots for Aviation Aggravation.
  • What went well:
    • Whilst I initially wanted a soft gradient shading, I found a Toon Boom Harmony tutorial on using the Cutter tool to apply shading to a character. I also found a method of shading, using the Shadow node (which applies a Bevel to the character and automatically applies shading using the 3D Dimensions of the Bevel), which I decided against using, as it didn't have the same visual effect as frame-by-frame shading. I found that it was much softer and the tutorial explains that it becomes more complicated with complex shapes and characters.
    • Despite not using the Shader Node for this animation, I now understand the process of applying it, therefore it is something I could use in the future.
    • Here is an example of Bevel shading, from a tutorial I found:


    • As a test for the Cutter tool technique, I started by applying shading to Shot 1, where each of the animals are still and I found that I really liked the effect it created! With the cutter, you select a layer to become the 'Matte' and invert this, so it cuts out everything outside of the Matte. It became very easy to use once I understood the process and allowed me to animate shading frame-by-frame.
Shot 1 Shading

    • Using my knowledge from the Context of Practise module, I applied the same technique in adding reflections to the floor, as I did with the animation test of Mimo. This consisted of shading the characters first, then duplicating the layer, applying adjustments and a Blur effect. I think this adds a lot to the visuals of the animation and polishes the scene much more, with having the floor reflections.





  • What could be improved:
    • Joseph mentioned that the reflections seem a little bit too harsh at the moment, so these will be adjusted once the background has been applied. 
    • I still think there could be further lighting added to each of the scenes, however this is something that will be done in Post-Production. I will also consider adding a Light Wrap onto the characters if I were to green-screen them.
  • Next week:
    • I will be continuing the shading for each of the scenes.

No comments:

Post a Comment