Saturday 17 April 2021

Extended Practise: Aviation Aggravation Final Film

 Extended Practise
Aviation Aggravation Final Film


  • This week:
    • I edited the final composite for Aviation Aggravation and put together a press-pack for the film.
  • What went well:
    • We were able to finish the final composite for Aviation Aggravation ahead of schedule! This allowed us to put together a quick press-pack and Rachel put together an amazing Art Book for Aviation Aggravation.
    • Rachel and I also worked on a poster for Aviation Aggravation. She contributed to the layout and linework, whilst I coloured, shaded and edited the poster. Here is the final film poster:

    • When preparing the film and putting together the final touches, I referred back to my notes from Steve Henderson's talk about submitting to Film Festivals. He mentions to make sure the editing is perfect, so I had to keep going back to the final composite and making adjustments. I think I will still be making minor adjustments, if I find some errors, even after submission, ready for festivals.
    • Here are my notes from Steve Hendersons' talk:
    • Overall, I'm proud that we were able to finish the full film, despite the circumstances, having to balance the workload between other projects and how many changes the film went through. I think that I learnt a lot about directing a larger-scale project and it's definitely something I would consider doing again in the future, based upon the experience I'd gained making this.
    • I think the characters work very well and fit into the backgrounds. The colours and expressions definitely stand out in this project, which is something I wanted be a focus. 
    • The music adds a lot to this project, thanks to Ben Hywel-Davies, who we collaborated with for the film.
    • Here is the final animation:

    • Here is the Press-pack, ready for festivals:

    • Here is the final art-book for the project, put together by Rachel:
  • What could be improved:
    • I wanted the character animation to be much more expressive and animated, however considering the amount of time we had and the amount working on the team, it would have been tricky to achieve. I will be considering this in future projects.
    • Some of the shots could have been positioned and composed a bit better. I think that there could have been more variety in the positioning of the camera, especially because it seems to always be just directly in-front of Geoffrey or showing a medium shot of the characters. This was tricky to get around with the space within the airplane being quite confined. 
    • The overall writing of the story could have been more creatively done to cut down on the time of the film, as we had to run over to hold frames for a bit longer - the initial cut felt like it was moving too fast, so we had to change this. I will consider this in the future, when storyboarding.
  • Next time:
    • Once the project has been submitted, we will begin looking at submitting to Animation festivals!

No comments:

Post a Comment