Monday 12 April 2021

Extended Practise: The Last Riders' Post Production 3

 Extended Practise
Rhys Post-Production 3


  • This week:
    • I continued compositing scenes for Rhy's project 'The Last Riders'.
  • What went well:
    • I worked on Scenes 13, 25/25.2, 4 and 27.
    • Following the same process as previous weeks, I started working firstly on Scene 13. This was one of the most difficult scenes I needed to work on for Rhy's project, as the file given to me was just a composited MP4. Rhys wanted me to apply the misty glow effects to Marow, to remain consistent with previous scenes, however the background was within the MP4 file.
    • Here is the clip which was sent to me to edit:

    • I wasn't sure at first how I was going to edit this, however I enjoyed the challenge of trying to add the glow to the mist, despite having uncertainties about it being possible to do. My idea consisted of making use of Keylight to try isolate the green colour of the mist and then finding a way to add a glow to that selected zone. By using Keylight and adjusting the clipping white of the Screen Matte, I could isolate that one colour.
    • Here's what this looked like:

    • I, then, applied an invert, so that it would invert the Keylight and select only the green areas:

    • To this isolated section, I could apply a glow:


    • I, then, imported another layer of the original clip, so that the glow mist effect would just overlay it. Overall this process was quite tricky to figure out, at first, but I'm incredibly happy I was able to figure this out and this is definitely a process I will use in the future.

    • Here is the final clip for Scene 13, after making further adjustments to Marow's eyes, upon Rhy's request:
    • As I was getting much quicker with editing, due to the repetition of the process and applying the same compositing effects to each scene, I found compositing Scene 25 and 25.2 quite simple. For Scene 25, I used the same lighting process and in Scene 25.2 I added a slight green glow to the background, which is illuminated from Marow's mist. 
    • Here are Scene 25.2 and 25:


    • For Scenes 4, 21 and 27, I followed the same lighting process as previous scenes and, again, this process took me much quicker than I had initially anticipated, because I was understanding the workflow better.
    • I added shadows to Scene 27, casted by Marow and Isla, as this would keep consistent with Scene 26 (which had a shadow cast over Isla). 
    • I also added shadows to Scene 21 and a Light Ray onto the glass. I took into consideration the improvements I wanted to make from last time, which was taking the Scenes lighting more literally. As it was close to the window, I thought the light would be harsher and the glass would reflect a lot of light. 
    • Here are Scenes 4, 21 and 27:


  • What could be improved:
    • In a few scenes, the lighting feels slightly inconsistent, because of the way the overlay is reacting to different backgrounds and characters in scenes. This would be greatly improved if I had multiple files open, so that I could adjust the opacity and colours based upon another scene I had edited. Having another file open as reference would help reduce the inconsistencies between lighting in scenes. I will consider this going forward in other projects.
    • Similarly to my improvements on previous posts, I think the colour used for the lighting doesn't work too well and feels too dark for something that's supposed to be a light. 
  • Next week: 
    • Rhys will be putting together the final animation!

No comments:

Post a Comment