Wednesday 14 April 2021

Extended Practise: Kingdom of Masks Post-Production 3

Extended Practise
Kingdom of Masks Post-Production 3


  • This week:
    • I worked on the compositing and VFX for Still 13 and Scenes 24-25 for the Kingdom of Masks project.
  • What went well:
    • As I had learnt from the previous edit I did for Stills 17 and 14, where less is more, I decided to apply this to Still 13, as it was to be edited in the same way. I think that by applying the Puppet Tool and just giving him a subtle swing of his arm, in slow-motion, it works much better as a subtle effect. 
    • Here is Still 13:
    •  As a last-minute addition to my Post-Production schedule, I was asked by Emily and Khoa to try to composite and animate the transition between Scenes 24 and 25. I found this process quite tricky, as they wanted Scene 24 to go into a crystal ball, which the Fairy in Scene 25 is looking over. However, as I had learnt a lot about using masks and pre-composites, I was able to create an animated mask for Scene 24 and animate the light/VFX so it looks like it is inside a crystal ball. 
    • As I had a better understanding of animating applied effects in After Effects, due to my work on Post-Production on Rhys' and Khoas' projects, I found the process much easier.
    • Here is the transition from Scenes 24 to 25:
  • What could be improved:
    • The time stretch I added to the end of Scene 24, in order for the transition to work better, could be further improved, as it holds for a little bit too long at the moment. Either this, or have better planned that there would be a transition here, so the slow-motion jump could be animated and extended further.
    • Furthermore, the zoom of the Fairy and Scene 24 is slightly out of sync, however this was very tricky to have them moving perfectly, as I also needed to scale the Scene. This could have been something I fixed with a pre-composite, instead of using a mask. This is something I will consider for future projects.
  • Next week:
    • Khoa will be putting the final animation together, ready for submission!

No comments:

Post a Comment