Sunday 1 November 2020

Extended Practise: Character Development for Khoa and Amy

 Extended Practise
Character Development for Khoa and Amy


  • This week:
    • I started producing a series of character and creature concepts for Khoa and Amy's project.
  • What went well:
    • Using the character and creature concept document that Khoa and Amy had made, I explored some initial creature ideas which would fit into their world.
    • They had some specific criteria such as, each of the characters needed to wear masks, they needed to be simpler and smaller than the "large boss creature" designs, which Harry was doing and they needed to fit within the world.
    • I did struggle initially, as a script and concepts hadn't been started yet, however I was able to produce some design ideas with the document they gave me. I found designing creatures to fit within the world quite difficult, so I had a look at Steven Universes' Art Book, as they included a page on creature designs, which fit in the gem world. I found this really useful to design my own creatures, as I could explore the way the masks fit into the designs, similarly to how the gems are used in the Gem creatures.
Gem Creature Concepts from Steven Universe: Art and Origins:



Khoa and Amy's Concept Document:



My series of designs:







    • With the initial ideas, I think these work really well and show a wide range of creatures, shapes and sizes. This also allows Amy and Khoa to choose designs I can explore further and designs they might like to adjust.
  • What could be improved:
    • I think a lot of the designs use elements of animals and already existing creatures and I could explore them further by thinking more creatively about how I design them.
    • I need to consider how they fit into a video-game world and more specifically, the one Amy and Khoa are trying to create. I will need to consider this when I develop them further.
  • Next time:
    • I will be developing these designs further, after receiving feedback from them both. I will also start on environment concepts.

No comments:

Post a Comment