Sunday 29 November 2020

Context of Practise 3: Mimo's Line Tests

Context of Practise 3
Mimo's Line Tests


  • This week:
    • I worked on the final animations for Bertie, Sal and Mimo.
  • What went well:
    • Whilst keeping in mind the improvements I needed to make for Bertie and Sal's animations, I decided to animate Mimos' final test as a full body, as this would be also more fitting for his character. Similarly to the process of the previous animations, I roughed out some initial keys to try and get an idea of the motion and acting of the character. As Mimo is very excitable and bubbly, I made sure to have their body language show this, such as using his wings to motion signals and keeping his timing quick and jumpy.

    • Based on the previous work and what I had learnt, I found it much easier to animate Mimo's body language, especially since he's also expressive in the way he acts. I had the idea that the way he would react to a glass breaking would be to find a way to help out, so I had the intial reaction, him thinking, getting an idea, indicating that he would only be a moment and then flies back in to present a broom/brush to sweep up.
    • I think that the expressions really work with this one and I kept in mind the pacing issues I'd noticed with Sal's animation, so to add variety there are pauses longer than others and faster movements between slower ones.

    • One thing I had found from this module is that I had learnt a lot about using Toon Boom Harmony, using short-cuts, the colour layer, applying the linework to colour layer and effects layers. Because of this, I created a reflection of Mimo on the tiled flooring, to make him feel more a part of the scene. Similarly to the Bertie and Sal animations, the colouring and shading added a level of professionalism to the animation.

  • What could be improved:
    • There are some shakiness and fluidity issues with the linework, which comes with the lower frame-rate and not betweening as much, to focus on the acting. I had noted this before for Sal and Berties' animations, but I will make sure this is thought about for my Extended Practise work, as I need to think about the acting now, with fluid motions.
    • I think Mimo could have been framed on the screen a bit more effectively, as the camera feels too close with how he is shot in the final animation.
  • Next time:
    • I will be producing a short analysis video of what I have learnt and how this project will help in my Extended Practise work.

No comments:

Post a Comment