Sunday 8 November 2020

Context of Practise 3 - Character Improvements

 Context of Practise 3
Character Improvements


  • This week:
    • I made some improvements on the quick turnarounds of both Bertie and Sally (chihuahua and sphynx cat).
  • What went well:
    • After some initial feedback, I found that the turnarounds for Bertie and Sally felt too stiff and didn't completely feel on-model with how I wanted them to look. I additionally thought that Berties' design wasn't balanced enough and felt a little bit dis-proportionate. Here were the initial designs:
    • Above, Berties' design wasn't proportionate from the front and side views, as the body feels square from the side and slimmer in the front.


    • Again, Sallys' design felt too stiff, although the line-weights work really well. I decided to continue with this line-weight and fluidity, but then adjust the posing to feel more in-character and more fluid. After my analysis of the appeal of Dr Delbert Doppler, Mickey Mouse, Chihiro (Spirited Away) and Mabel Pines (Gravity Falls), which can be seen in my previous blog post, aided in making the characters feel more fluid and appealing. 
      • In addition to this, "The Illusion of Life" by Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston provides a detailed idea of how to create appealing designs.  Here are the improved designs;




    • Overall, I believe that the designs feel more fluid and I think that the line-weights work better in these redesigns. Additionally, I adjusted the character expressions, making them feel more related to their personalities: cranky, stubborn and anxious, timid. 
  • What could be improved:
    • If I were to continue developing these, I would experiment with more shapes and colour schemes, to fully explore how to create differing personalities based on body types and shapes.
  • Next week:
    • I will begin animating the roughs for each of the characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment