Thursday 2 April 2020

Applied Animation: Documentary - Jormungandr Key-frames

Applied Animation
Jormungandr Key-frames and Inbetweens

  • This week:
    • I began the frame-by-frame animation for Jormungandr.

  • What went well:
    • As this was the first time using Toon Boom Harmony for frame-by-frame animation, I had to spent a bit of time initially learning the software. This was through using online video tutorials, provided by Toon Boom, on their website.
    • I initially found it difficult to understand the way in-which the serpent would leap out of the water, so I looked at references on YouTube. I was able to find some videos of Whales leaping out of the ocean, to observe the way the water moved up with them and this helped to create the flow of the water with the serpent.
Whale and Water References:

Using the Drawing Tools in Toon Boom:
    • I was additionally able to finish the inbetweens of the animation, also, as I animated the water mainly as straight-animation, rather than doing key-poses, as I found this the easiest to get the positioning and flow of the water accurate.


  • I, then, continued to line Shot 6, as this followed after Shot 5, where there was going to be Puppet Animation.

  • What Could be Improved:
    • The timing needs to be adjusted for both shots, as it goes a little bit too quickly and doesn't fully illustrate the mass of Jormungandr, in the second shot. I will be slowing down the movement of the tail in order to illustrate this.
    • Furthermore, the lines of the water need cleaning up, so it fits better with the background, as this doesn't feel a part of the background yet.
  • For the rest of this week:
    • I will be improving these frames and then colouring them. I will be calling my group on Friday in order to discuss any further steps, however it's just about working as we can at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment