Saturday 11 April 2020

Applied Animation: Documentary - More tests and Fenrir

Applied Animation
More Puppet Tests and Fenrir Key-frames

  • This week:
    • I worked on creating more puppet animation and starting key-framing one of the scenes with Fenrir, which Caitlin will be inbetweening.
  • What went well:
    • I produced an additional test for the puppet animation for Jormungandr, with the side angle again. When I showed my group, we thought the it worked best with the angle from above, as it keeps the movement of the serpent going. It also illustrates the mass and scale of the serpent, which is something that's mentioned in the Prose Edda. Here is the comparison:
 Test 1:

Side Test 2:

Above Perspective Test:

    • In addition to this, I started key-framing Fenrirs' shots 24-26, as Caitlin will be inbetweening these. In order to keep the design and body consistent, I had to use Fenrirs' reference sheet beside me at all times and I needed to use references of wolves. Most of the references were taken from the website LineofAction.com, as this is a helpful tool.
    • I needed references of the skull structure, also, therefore I used the online tool: https://x6ud.github.io/#/ which shows a 3D model of animal skulls, which you can rotate to see from different perspectives:

    • The keyframes I drew were consistent and kept as anatomically close to the correct movements of the jaw as I could. The timing of the key-frames work well.



  • What could be improved:
    • There are a few mistakes with Fenrirs' keyframes, such as some lines missing from some frames, which is something I will just need to look over again.
    • The side angle slow-motion shot of Jormungandr would have worked if there wasn't an easing of frames as he reaches the peek of his dive our of the water. If the movement accelerated, or evenly moved into the slow-motion section, then it would have worked. If we decide that we would rather have the side-angle shot, I will keep this in mind when re-doing it.
  • Next week:
    • I will be working on Fenrirs' frame-by-frame animation!

No comments:

Post a Comment