Saturday 25 April 2020

Applied Animation: Documentary - Fenrir Colouring and Shading 2

Applied Animation
Fenrir Colouring and Shading 2

  • This week:
    • I worked on the anticipation shot of Fenrir and start the puppet animation.
  • What went well:
    • I smoothed out the frames from my previous post and started the colouring process for Fenrir. This process has gotten easier since I started using Toon Boom Harmony, as I have gotten more used to working in the software.
Colouring and Shading Frames:

    • The shading is consistent and the added highlight, using the previous method from my Jormungandr scenes, helps break up shapes.
    • Additionally, animating the chains were a lot easier, as I already had drawn the assets for these and just needed to puppet them again, using the peg tool and rigging. 
Puppeted Chains:


    • I noticed that the last few frames needed to be extended a little bit, as it moves too quickly to see what's happening. Whilst extending these, I added a slight snow flick and steam from his breath, to keep consistent with the previous shot. The snow flick also illustrates the speed at which he lifts himself up, as the snow drags up with his paws.
Added Breath linework and snow:

 Coloured and Blurred Breath:

Slowed final few frames and moving shadow:

  • What could be improved:
    • Fenrirs' leap up to break the chains could be illustrated more clearly, or even continue further before it cuts to the slow-motion puppet shot of him. As this wasn't a fully planned shot, I will keep that in mind next time and plan it more to understand the full movement of the character.
    • I will put this with the slow-motion shot and see if it works fine. If it seems to cut too quickly, then adjustments can be made. 
    • Finally, this could be further improved in post-production, with added snow and moving fog to illustrate the cold atmosphere.
  • Next week:
    • I will be working on this alongside the puppet animation to make them flow together.

No comments:

Post a Comment