Friday 26 February 2021

Extended Practise: Final Film Inbetweens Progress 2

 Extended Practise
Final Film Inbetweening Progress 2

  • This week:
    • I worked on the inbetweens for Shots 6 and 9 for my final film.
  • What went well:
    • I was able to take what I had learnt from inbetweening a lot on Khoa and Amy's project into inbetweening on my own film. For example, I had learnt a lot about timing and spacing on their project, so I found it easier to apply when inbetweening Shot 6 and 9. 
    • With Shot 6, the mouse's movement is very fast and sporadic, as they are panicking. I had to use a lot of smear frames for their movements as they were so quick, but I have a better understanding of those now. I had also learnt about adding a couple of frames between each smear, such as when the mouse waves his arms, to ease the movement, which reads a lot better. 
    • The way in which Rachel had key-framed the mouse, he is kept in one position, so I had to focus on a lot of his upper body and head movements. This is the same for The Air Hostess listening to him. I had to edit her key-frames, however, because she had gone off-model with the Air Hostesses beak, which was intended to be a simple triangle shape.
    • I had to make some minor changes to the shot, as the timing needed to be adjusted, so here are the final inbetweens:

Shot 6 Inbetweens

    • For Shot 9, I was inbetweening the Hedgehog character, who looks at Mr. Goose curiously. I had a bit of trouble with inbetweening this, as Rachel had over-complicated his quills a little bit, but I still found it fun to between. Originally I had thought to make the final lift of both of his arms ease, but I thought that the little bounce fits better with the character. I believe that it makes the character feel like he is first thinking about the idea that Geoffrey has wings, before he lifts both of his arms to look at Geoffrey, in question. 
    • I think that this shot applies a lot of knowledge I had gained from my Context of Practise module.
    • Here are the final betweens:


  • What could be improved:
    • I think that the mouse movement works well for the character in Shot 6, however the Air Hostess could use improvement, especially when the mouse jumps at her. It was keyed a lot different to what I had in mind, which was the Hostess flailing her legs more and wriggling her body, however Rachel had interpreted this differently. I think that's something from either how I had storyboarded it not being clear enough, or because of the COVID situation, people in the group aren't communicating as much. I had asked the tutors to set-up online studios, so people would be more inclined to discuss work as they do work, but it isn't used as much as I hoped. 
    • I have found the lack of communication on all projects quite frustrating. I have decided to make it so that any progress/work that anyone on the project does must send it to the group chat to receive feedback, even if they are not wanting feedback. Joseph has been very consistent in sending backgrounds to me, so I have been able to give feedback on those, however the animation needs more consistent feedback. I have told Caitlin and Rachel to post gifs into the chat as they work. This should hopefully solve any issues with inconsistencies and lack of communication.
  • Next week:
    • I'll be working on Shots 10 and 14.


No comments:

Post a Comment