Monday 15 March 2021

Extended Practise: Final Film Inbetweens Progress 4

Extended Practise
Final Film Inbetweening Progress 4


  • This week:
    • I worked on the inbetweens for Shot 16 and the keyframes, inbetweens and colour for Shot 18.
  • What went well:
    • Initially Shot 16 was intending to be a still frame of the hedgehog character sleeping peacefully beside his mother, however I decided to give this a little bit more life by adding a breathing animation. This would then make the scene feel less static in comparison to the other shots and add more life.
    • Here is Shot 16, with the inbetweens:
Shot 16 Inbetweens


Shot 16 with background
    • I additionally worked on the entirety of Shot 18. I started by keyframing the Air Hostess for this shot and animating the rain on the window straight ahead. I used reference footage found on YouTube of rain on glass to help with this.
    • Here are the initial keyframes:


    • After getting some feedback, my group told me the rain-drop effects work really well, but the keys of the Air Hostess feel boring and flat. I also realised she moves back into the aisle, so I needed to animate her jumping back. 
    • Rachel also mentioned that the Air Hostess should come in further to the camera, making the viewer (from the point of view of Mr. Goose) feel uncomfortable.
    • To make this movement work I made use of the camera feature in Toon Boom, which I needed to understand more.




    • I also did a quick test for the oxygen masks, using the deformer tool in Toon Boom. I had previously learnt how to use this when I worked on my Documentary last year, so I used it in this shot to make the oxygen mask swing much easier to animate.
    • The first inbetweens, whilst smooth, were a little bit too quick, so I went back in and added some additional frames.
    • I think I did a great job with the drag of her "head poof" when she moves back and, again, making use of smear frames, which stays consistent with the animating style.

Shot 18 first inbetweens




Shot 18 Improved Betweens

    • Once the betweens were improved, I worked on the colour, which was a much easier part of the process. Now that I understand colouring in Toon Boom Harmony, the process didn't take me too long.
    • I still need the final background for this shot, before I can finish colouring the window, however Joseph and I will be discussing whether it needs to be green-screened for Post-Production later next week.

  • What Could be Improved:
    • There seems to be a slight wobble or frame wobble when she jumps back and I think it could be because of the camera movement not being entirely in sync with her movement. I will double check this when I go back to finish the colour and render the video.
    • If I were to redo this shot, I probably make the frames hold a bit longer, as it feels a bit fast. Especially at the end when she's standing in the aisle, I would like to make it last a bit longer, to hold the tension, before the oxygen masks drop.
    • The oxygen mask drop could be improved further by making them drop at different times and maybe bounce off each other. I will be keeping it this way for now, however if there is more time at the end of Production, I will update these.
  • Next week:
    • I will be working on animating a transition between Shot 7 and 8 and starting the keyframes for Shot 22 and 23.






No comments:

Post a Comment