Thursday 17 January 2019

Process and Production: Scripting and Storyboarding

Process and Production
Scripting and Story-boarding

For the process of story-boarding and developing a script, I needed to know more information about both of my characters, therefore I developed a mind-map and character sheet for both to understand them. Once this was completed, I tried to follow a story-type which is heavily used in Adventure and chose to focus on 'The Quest'.




In my planning, I struggled initially to think about how the antagonist was going to try to take the "magical item" from Meara, however, I thought to incorporate his dark magic power. I wanted to demonstrate that Sumac, as a character, isn't perfect nor able to completely use the dark spells correctly, thus resulting in Meara regaining control and running away. 




To develop my backgrounds, I researched use of colour and looked at 'The Noble Appraoch' by Tod Polson, whom looks at Maurice Nobles' approach to layout and backgrounds. The use of bold and bright colours is evident in their work and using more saturated tones in the foreground to create sense of depth and space. They use colour to indicate mood and to further improve my backgrounds, I would like to use this technique.


To begin to plan my storyboard, I will start by using sticky notes, as used by other studios. I thought the process of post-it note storyboards would prove useful, as you can easily change and adapt before making the final product.




This post-it note storyboard was then transferred to a digital storyboard, containing camera movement, lighting and shadows and character movement, visible in the colour co-ordinated sheet. I could improve on this by varying my shots more to create visual interest, however I did try to add further interest in contrast of light, which was something I didn't utilise in the previous module.




No comments:

Post a Comment