Wednesday 9 January 2019

Process and Production: Character Design and Development

Process and Production
Character Design and Development

Protagonist Development and Turnaround Sheets

Due to the idea that I decided to explore Adventure, I wanted to create an Urban-Explorer character, with the Explorer archetype. I also incorporated the Fantasy element into the character design too, to create more visual interest.



The first set of designs I created were of a Urban explorer, whom weilded weapons and committed crime through break-ins. This design was soon changed when I pushed the design further, adding muscles, additional clothing items and pointed ears to created an Elven explorer, whom roams castles and abandoned cities for magical gems. I wanted to give her a rock-climber physique, so added more muscle and ropes to the design.


The First Turnaround Design

I recieved feedback from others, telling me the character needed more muscle and appeal and that the hands were incorrect on the pose facing the back. I decided to improve this on the re-done T-Pose sheet.

I used page 133-138 of the book Creative Character Design by Bryan Tillman to help with the turnaround poses. To further improve, I was told to change the hands on the back pose and push the design further. I did this by starting with a silhouette, then drawing over this.


Second Turnaround Design


I posted the second design to have feedback and I was told to add further folds to the clothing to make it appear less flat and adjust the shape of her body on the final T-Pose, which I was able to quickly adapt before moving onto the colouring process. When colouring my design, I wanted to research other uses of colour in aesthetic. I looked at the book Creative Character Design by Bryan Tillman, for choosing blues for her scarf, to represent confidence and power. 




Third Turnaround Design, with improvements and added colour

Final Turnaround Design with Muscle Adjustments

With the final turnaround improvements, I changed her muscles slightly to make her appear more lean, as the rock-climber physique reflects this. Her final design was further illustrated in a model sheet, containing a variety of dynamic poses.

Fully Rendered Model Sheet





No comments:

Post a Comment