Sunday 18 October 2020

Context of Practise 3: Research Post 3

Context of Practise
Research Post 3 - Character Animation Crash Course, Reg Isaac and The Illusion of Life 

  • This week:
    • I made notes on the books, "Character Animation Crash Course" by Eric Goldberg and "The Illusion of Life" by Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnson. I also received an email response from Reg Isaac.
  • What went well:
    • I think that I found a lot of relevant research from both "Character Animation Crash Course" and "The Illusion of Life" and they both look at personality animation from a different perspective to books I have previously analysed. "The Illusion of Life" especially expresses the importance of character appeal and also further goes on to provide information of character body language, from films such as The Rescuers and The Jungle Book. Characters from these films could be a great idea to analyse going forward, as I would have the research from "The Illusion of Life" to cross-reference information. Here are the notes I made:



    • Furthermore, I received a response from Reg Isaac, who provided a test animation for Klaus, worked on the animation for the Netflix Green Eggs and Ham adaptation, and also worked on The Tiger Who Came To Tea for Channel 4, with LupusFilms. They provided a lot of information regarding character personality and acting, which can be seen here:

  • What could be improved:
    • Now that I have looked a many resources of books and primary research, I would like to start analysing some case studies. One of these can be the Tiger from The Tiger Who Came To Tea, as I already have some of Reg Isaacs' input. Furthermore, I need to look at some examples of use of body language and where it works and where it might not.
  • Next week:
    • I will be creating an essay structure, analysing case studies and starting with practical work.

No comments:

Post a Comment