Tuesday 27 November 2018

Study Task 5 of Animation Fundamentals

Animation 1: Animation Skills
Study Task 5: PARTS A and B - Anticipation, Exaggeration, Follow Through and Overlapping Animation

For Part A of the task I had to demonstrate anticipation and exaggeration, this was combined with Part B to produce a full mixed-media animation. I decided to try cut-out animation for Part A and compiled it together in Photoshop. The backgrounds and foreground were painted traditionally, however I think the animation could be improved with more cut-out frames for fluidity and could be improved quality-wise.

For the backgrounds, I researched the use of backgrounds in the concept art for Disney's Bambi, which uses a watercolour-like texture. I additionally referenced the duller toned The Tale Three Brothers animation, featured in Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows, as part of my research.





Traditional Backgrounds



 Made using acrylic paint and watercolours

Digital Backgrounds








Part B - Follow Through and Overlapping

For this part of the animation, I decided to do it entirely digital, using the digital backgrounds also. The animation incorporates follow-through and overlapping, through the ears and the run cycles, when the character leaps into frame. Once lined and coloured, I added sound effects.

During this part of the task, I added a blink animation, as Chamomile turns his head to incorporate the blink into the task. I found that from "The Animators Survival Kit", where it references using a blink, to create a snappier turn.





I think it could be improved by creating a flowing transition between the initial cut-out animation to the digital animation. The timing could also be improved in the cut-out, by including additional frames.

No comments:

Post a Comment