Sunday 10 May 2020

Applied Animation: Documentary - Transitions

Applied Animation
Creating Transitions

  • This week:
    • Im working on the post-production for the documentary.
  • What went well:
    • In order to create a snow transition for Fenrir, I animated a snow-swipe in Toon Boom Harmony, which just swipes across the screen. I wasn't able to use many references for this, so I had to experiment a bit with the movement. I was able to create one that could be edited further:

    • This, however, needed further improvement. It needed to work with the snow-fall that would already be in the scene and transition smoothly. Once I took it into After-Effects and used the Particle World effects, I created a realistic-looking snowfall. 


    • Using a mask, and creating a snow-fall with the Particle World effects, it broke up the swipe more, to make it look more like snow. Once I added an additional layer of lighter snow-fall, it would transition much better between shots.
The Final Snow-Swipe Transition:



  • What could be improved:
    • Although it works well, I could have found a way to use a reference or looked for more inspiration to help me animate the snow swipe. The final composition could have been put together better if the original animation worked well. This is something I can remember for next time.
  • For the rest of this week:
    • I will be working on the VFX and compositing for Jormungandr.



No comments:

Post a Comment